On 08.01.2015 17:12, Robert Metzger wrote:
> Hi Brane,
> See answer inline:
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 08.01.2015 09:55, Robert Metzger wrote:
>>> Hi,

>> that
>>> would make this possible does exist.
>>>
>>> I would like to express demand from the Flink project. svn is a pain to
>> use
>>> (since we host javadocs and our documentation on our website, the upload
>>> usually runs for 6+ hours. Probably because its so many files).
>> I'd be interested in seeing what kind of commit takes 6 hours, and from
>> where. Shouldn't take that long.
>>
> I think this one
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1630951 or this one
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1627056 took so long.
> We committed from Berlin, Germany with a 100 MBit down, 12 MBit up
> connection.

I'm frankly horrified that you push build artifacts into the repository
like this ... only because the cms system appears to require it. It's
irrelevant whether this is Git or Subversion: it's a waste of space and
time. This looks like a case of using the wrong tool for the job.

In cases like this I'd strongly recommend that you ask Infra to set up a
small VM for you to build and host the Javadocs on, and link to that
from your web site (or proxy it; the VM itself doesn't have to be
visible to the 'net). The javadocs should be easily rebuildable from
release bits and don't require version control, just VM backups.

-- Brane