On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:43 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Jacques Le Roux
> > <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com> wrote:
> >> Who will update the https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html
> page?*
> >
> > I've done that, it now says "In general, committer elections are
> > majority approval votes, as described on the Apache Voting Process
> > page" with a link.
>
> That's not my understanding. It's not what I've heard from the Board
> over the years, particularly from Greg. And I believe that it's for a
> very good reason that personnel votes at Apache are not majority rule:
> majority rule forces a result rather than creates consensus.

I dislike all voting, yes. Consensus through discussion is definitely a
better approach.

Concretely: I don't think there is any specific recommendation for how a
PMC/community decides upon new committers. I've seen many mechanisms. In
fact, within Apache Subversion, a committer can be added by any *singular*
PMC member, no vote required (but their resulting commit rights are
limited).

For PMC Members, Roy has stated [on general@incubator, on 1/31/2012] that:

"Well, it boils down to the fact that making someone a PMC member gives
them veto power over the changes you make.  The only way that works
socially is if everyone currently on the PMC agrees that person is a peer."

Cheers,
-g