Perhaps this discussion stems from questions about how Apache uses the
term 'consensus'.

In the rest of the world, there is a formally defined 'consensus
decision process'. The goal of this process is to make decisions when
possible, and leave the status quo otherwise. Very roughly, discussion
takes place. When the moderator perceives a possible consensus, the
moderator asks, 'does anyone block consensus'? At that point, people
think very carefully, balancing the value of action against the
importance of an objection. If people have a too-low threshold for
blocking consensus, then nothing ever happens. If people have a
too-high threshold, then disagreements build and other disfunction
sets in.

You can model an Apache 'vote with veto' as an electronic consensus
test. -1 means 'I'm not thrilled, but I'm open to persuasion.' VETO is
a blocking of consensus. +0 is 'I'm not thrilled, but I'm I won't
block it.'

The concept of 'procedural votes' is that there are some topics that
don't deserve all of this angst; that a defined quorum of people in
favor is enough. Whether PMC or commit should be consensus or
procedural I leave to others to debate; I just offer this to try to
put the veto into context.