On 04/10/2015 04:26 PM, jan i wrote:
On 10 April 2015 at 23:09, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <
ross.gard...@microsoft.com> wrote:

To get people involved we need to provide value. Today, we offer no value.
So, if I may, I would like to answer a slightly different question. The one
I want to answer is "how can we provide value so that PMCs will proactively
maintain a central events calendar?" Here's my starting answer, more ideas
very welcome...

VP Brand has added a clause to the events policy that requires avoidance
of event date clashes.

Marketing is ramping up on a quarterly report that, once we are in the
swing of things, will be broadly distributed (and thus provide visibility
for events listed in the calendar).

We have a budget for stickers and other such giveaways at community
events, we won't ship those unless it's on the calendar.

Marketing can announce the events on twitter etc, when they are in the
common calendar, and not only in quarterly reports.

My impression has always been that Marketing isn't going to do messaging around project-specific events like this. But we, as individuals, can do that. I've been doing some project-specific promotion lately, as folks may have noticed. As an individual member.

THE calendar get a link from www.apache.org and thus gets a lot more hits..

It must be easy to add events, no long mail discussions, but a simple web
page and e.g. the acceptance from comDev (similar to moderating a mailing
list).

It is also not just about value, but also about knowing....I started in one
calendar where I saw ACEU was missing, then I searched for another event
and came across the other calendar. Our events should not be found by
accident. I believe having ONE calendar that is been given links from top
pages and being actively promoted, is good value for all PMCs, whereas n
calendars are of no value.

rgds
jan I.

More?....