Le mercredi 6 mai 2015 12:48:34 Steve Blackmon a écrit :
> > For visualization, for sure, json is the current natural format when data
> > is consumed from the browser.
> > I don't have great experience on this, and what I'm missing with json
> > currently is a common practice on documenting a structure: are there
> > common
> > practices?
>
> In podling streams [0], we make extensive use of json schema [1]
thank you: that's exactly the initial info I was looking for: json schema!

> from
> which we generate POJOs with a maven
> plugin jsonschema2pojo [2] which makes manipulating the objects in
> Java/Scala pleasant.  I expect other languages have
> similar jsonschema-based ORM paradigms as well.
As usual Java devloper, your tooling is interesting
But in the projects-new.a.o case, it is data extraction is coded in Python: if
we create json schema, having Python classes generated could simplify coding.
Anyone with Python+json schema experience around?

> This pattern supports
> inheritance both within
> and across projects - for example see how [3] extends [4] which
> extends [5].  These schemas are relatively self documenting,
> but generating documentation or other artifacts is straight-forward as
> they are themselves json documents.
yeah, json schema document is easy to read (at least the examples on the
site...)

> > Because for simple json structure, documentation is not really necessary,
> > but once the structure goes complex, documentation is really a key
> > requirement for people to use or extend. And I already see this
> > shortcoming with the 11 json files from projects-new.a.o =
> > https://projects-new.apache.org/json/foundation/
> Having used these json documents a few weeks ago to build an apache
> community visualization [6]
yeah, really nice visualization!

> IMO the current crop of project-new jsons
> are intermediate artifacts rather than a sufficiently cross-purpose
> data model, a role currently held by DOAP mbox and misc others all
> with some inherent shortcomings most notably lack of navigability
> between silos.
+1
I'm at a point where I start to really understand the concepts involved and
want to code a simple data model: I'll report here once I have a first version
available.

> I'd like to nominate activity streams [7] with
> community-specific extensions (such as those roughly prototyped here:
> [8] ) as a potential core data model for this effort going forward
I had a first look at it: it is more complex than what I had in mind
We'll have to share and see what's the best bet

> and
> I'm happy to help apply some of the useful tools and connectors within
> podling streams toward that end. Converting external structured
> sources into normalized documents and indexing those activities to
> power data-centric APIs and visualizations are wheelhouse use cases
> for this project, as they say.
Great, stay tuned: I'll probably work on it this week-end

Regards,

Hervé