> +1, +1, etc.
>
> Apache OpenOffice is overflowing with opportunities to make use of this.
>
> I did not notice a way to indicate that a task has been "taken" or is
> completed/withdrawn.

in the 'edit tasks' menu ( https://helpwanted.apache.org/admin/ ) you
can mark any task as done when someone has started working on it, and
it'll then disappear from the list of open tasks.

> (I could have missed it.)
>
> I assume a potential GSoC mini-project could be identified in the title or
> short description, with a link to the JIRA place for further details?  The
> offer of mentoring could be there too.

Exactly, you could simply make a task called "GSoC: Make stuff work" and
then link to a JIRA/BZ entry with more details.

> Each project could have their own FAQ about general necessities of
> contribution how to prepare/start, by subproject area if needed, tied into
> wherever the project-level widget is displayed.

Yeah, my plan is to have projects come up with a short guide on how to
contribute to their projects, and have that added to the detailed task
page (when someone clicks "I'm interested in this"). Contributions are
most welcome here, I'm not sure what to write :)

With regards,
Daniel.