On 02/08/2016 10:22 AM, sebb wrote:
> On 8 February 2016 at 08:36, Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 02/07/2016 11:34 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>> +1, +1, etc.
>>>
>>> Apache OpenOffice is overflowing with opportunities to make use of this.
>>>
>>> I did not notice a way to indicate that a task has been "taken" or is
>>> completed/withdrawn.
>>
>> in the 'edit tasks' menu ( https://helpwanted.apache.org/admin/ ) you
>> can mark any task as done when someone has started working on it, and
>> it'll then disappear from the list of open tasks.
>>

>>> (I could have missed it.)
>>>
>>> I assume a potential GSoC mini-project could be identified in the title or
>>> short description, with a link to the JIRA place for further details?  The
>>> offer of mentoring could be there too.
>>
>> Exactly, you could simply make a task called "GSoC: Make stuff work" and
>> then link to a JIRA/BZ entry with more details.
>>

>>> Each project could have their own FAQ about general necessities of
>>> contribution how to prepare/start, by subproject area if needed, tied into
>>> wherever the project-level widget is displayed.
>>
>> Yeah, my plan is to have projects come up with a short guide on how to
>> contribute to their projects, and have that added to the detailed task
>> page (when someone clicks "I'm interested in this"). Contributions are
>> most welcome here, I'm not sure what to write :)
>
> Surely the contribution guide should already be present on each
> project's website or Wiki?
> If not, then there should be one, and the project just needs to
> provide the URL to this app.
> I don't think it's a good idea to have yet another place where
> projects need to provide documentation.

Naturally, it would be entirely optional for projects to have something
specific to HW of course. There is a URL parameter already that you can
use to link to your existing contribution guide(s).

We could also go down the aggregator path and have projects just provide
a URL to a page or RDF/XML/whatever file that would be scraped and
displayed alongside the task info?

With regards,
Daniel.