On 10/26/16 11:07 AM, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> I added an initial stats page at
> https://projects.apache.org/statistics.html - assuming no one objects,
> I'll add it to the top menu of the other pages in a day or so.
>
> Do peruse - anything we need to add/edit?

Maven is not a programming language.  What exactly is the
denominator on that stat?  Number of files?  Lines of code?
Projects primarily using?

What does lines changed mean?  It looks like lines changed is
somehow supposed to be insertions plus deletions.  Where are the
mods to lines?  Is this just counting -- and ++ out of diffs?  That
is a very bad metric on how much code has actually changed or what a
contribution is.  Formatting nits, creating RCs, etc generate huge
amounts of this stuff without really contributing much.

What in the heck is an "author?"  We eliminated @author tags years
ago because *we don't think like that* - lets not regress.  If it
means someone created a new file, what is different about that than
just committing a patch of some kind?  I would drop that metric or
just merge it into committers.

I very much do not like the "leader board" concept, especially with
a bogus metric like number of diff lines generated driving it.  I
would drop that thing.

I would rather see "busiest" or "most active" projects defined by
something more meaningful like number of issues resolved or number
of releases.   So change at least the first metric on the bottom to
number of issues resolved and maybe make the second one number of
releases.

Phil