On 05.12.16 22:24, Rich Bowen wrote:
> So ... stepping back a bit here. Are you saying that even attempting to
> measure outcomes is harmful, because we might draw the wrong conclusions?
>
> This is a completely new notion to me.
>
> You say:
>
> "I am reluctant to simply collect some data because I am missing a clear
> question what we are trying to answer and how the data you want to
> collect is actually answering that question."
>
> I do have a clear question. My question is whether participating in the
> GSoC contributes to our goal of Community Development. Does it develop
> our community in any measurable way? I assume, at this point, that it
> does, or we wouldn't keep doing it. In what way has it had measurable
> impact on our community?
>
> Things that we can clearly measure is adding participants in our project
> communities, and artifacts added to our projects' revision control
> repositories. Measuring other things is more difficult, and can be taken
> as a later task. Easy things first.

And here is what I'm afraid of: By focusing on those two simple dimensions only
we will from my
experience end up with a pretty skewed result. The dimensions you propose don't
cover code living on
outside our repositories as add-on modules, they don't cover indirect
contributions, etc.

> The larger question of how and what we measure in the Community
> Development PMC as a whole hinges on this, too. I'm curious if you're
> resistant to that, too?

I am resistant to what you are proposing to measure. I am resistant to
simplifying metrics. Those
tend to do more harm than good.

Uli