> I'd like to strongly echo Bertrand here. To me, ComDev is first, and foremost
> an ASF's braintrust if you will of things that have to do with
> community development,
> governance and all around non-coding. It is a place to come and ask
> for advice, etc.
>
> Of course, anything we can do to clean up documentation or provide
> better guidance
> is welcome, but I don't think ComDev is responsible for community
> development of ASF
> the same way that Rich is responsible for it at his day job.

So, to quote Tyrion Lannister, we drink and we know things?

Well, the point of this thread is that I think that's not enough any
more. It's taking the easy way out, and will eventually lead to an ASF
where more and more projects are satellites, disconnected from the
central ASF community, and we no longer share any commonality between
ASF projects.

Any community (or company, or country, or whatever) that grows at the
rate that the ASF is growing risks losing its identity unless culture is
actively preserved - unless community is actively developed.

We have been entrusted by the board to do that community development.

I want the ASF to still be here in 50 years, and I want the ASF in 50
years to be something that we would recognize. It's not enough to drink
and know things - though I recommend both of these things highly. We
need to be actively training the young'uns to run with our passion when
we aren't there any more.

No doubt someone will say that this is the Incubator's job. The
Incubator is there to train projects at onboarding. We are here to
develop community, and encourage projects to continue doing what the
Incubator taught them, and to draw them deeper into the ASF family. In a
sense ComDev picks up where the Incubator leaves off. And then at some
point we hand off to Attic. It's a circle of life thing.

--
Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon