On 12/07/2016 10:18 AM, Peter Hunsberger wrote:

>> > Big +1.
> This thread has been pretty confusing from what I know of "the Apache way";
> if someone wants to do something constructive they should be encouraged to
> do it.  The thought that collecting metrics could somehow harm Comdev is
> absurd.  People misusing the collected data might be a problem, but that's
> a separate problem that can be addressed one there is some actual data to
> look at.

It's not merely a question of encouraging me to go off and do something.
The things that are discussed here are things that will take hundreds of
hours, and thus need broad agreement, and broad volunteer participation.
This is not something that I'm going to go off and do.

This thread is about FAR more than just collecting statistics. It's
about focusing our efforts, and defining what the ComDev PMC is going to
focus attention on in the coming years.

ComDev does a lot of stuff. Some of it doesn't work. Some of it works.
Some of it, we have no idea whether it works, because we haven't defined
what "works" means.

ComDev was formed 10 years ago when a sudden influx of new projects were
starting to significantly change the culture of the ASF, and we wanted
to ensure that we didn't lose, in the process, the core nature of who we
are. There have been a number of concerns expressed in the last few
months that we don't know who we are, as ComDev, and this thread was an
attempt to more clearly define what we, ComDev, are about.

This doesn't mean that you can't work on X or I can't work on Y. It
doesn't mean that everyone must work on Z. It means that we, as ComDev,
have been given a very vague direction by the Board, and that every few
years it's important to make sure that we're doing that, and that we
know who we are.

I fully intend to work on the things that I've enumerated. But I also
have a job, a family, hobbies, and dishes to wash. I want to know that
we, collectively, are walking in the same direction, and that if I, or
two or three of us, or even most of us, need to go do something else for
a year or two, ComDev will continue to walk in that direction without us.

--
Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon