On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:02:50AM +0200, Myrle Krantz wrote:
> This story sounds like a very good argument for distributed source
> control such as git or mercury.  Even if GitHub had purposely "lost"
> their entire repository, they would still at least have had the
> complete check-in history of their project sources locally on each of
> their three developer machines. It'd be awesome if there were a wiki
> and an issue system with similar properties.

I think in particular project communication in wiki/ issue tracker is what
people often forget. While the source code and it's change history is important,
loosing discussions, decisions and documentation in other systems does hurt a
good deal as well.

For me this is a big reminder why "what didn't happen on the mailing list didn't
happen" is important. For me personally it doesn't matter which technical
solution we choose to reach this kind of distributed history tracking, making it
distributed though is important.

> It also sounds like a good argument for doing open source development
> under an umbrella organization which has some lawyers, and a deep
> institutional understanding of intellectual property laws.  Yeah
> Apache!

... and yeah other independent organisations that provide comparable
environments ;)

Cheers,
Isabel