Large code drops are almost always damaging, since inherent in that process is
the concept of "throwing the code over a wall". But sometimes it does work out,
assuming that continuity and "good intentions" are followed.

To show this, join me in the Wayback Machine as Sherman and I travel to the
year 1995...

This is right around the start of Apache, back when Apache meant the web
server, and at the time, the project was basically what was left of the NCSA
web server plus some patches and bug fixes... Around this time, one of the core
group, Robert Thau, started independent work on a re-architecture of the
server, which he code-named "Shambala". It was basically a single contributor
effort (himself). One day he simply said to the group, "Here, I have this new
design and architecture for Apache. It adds a lot of features." So much of what
defines httpd today can find its origin right there: modular framework, pools,
preforking (and, as such, the initial gleaming towards MPMs), extendable API,
etc...

In many ways, this was a large code drop. What made it different is that there
was *support* by the author and the community to work on integrating it into
the whole. It became, basically, a community effort.

Now compare that with a different scenario... Once httpd had picked up steam,
and making sure that it was ported to everyone's favorite *nix flavor was
important, SGI had done work on a set of patches that ported httpd to their OS
and provided these patches (a set of 10 very large patch-files, iirc) to the
group. What was clear in those patches is that there was no consideration at
all on how those patches affected or broke anyone else. They rewrote huge
swaths of code, optimizing for SGI and totally destroying any sort of
portability for anyone else. And when we responded by, asking for more
information, help with chatting with their developers to try to figure things
out, and basically trying to figure out how to use and merge this stuff, SGI
was basically just silent. They sent it to us and that was the beginning and
the end of their involvement as far as they were concerned.[1]

Way, way too many large code drops are the latter. Hardly any are the former.

1. I have paraphrased both the Shambala and SGI events