Hey all,

I'd like to invite anyone with relevant positive or negative
experiences with off-list development or large code drops to share
those experiences.  The ASF policy of "no off-list development" is
implemented in a wide variety of ways in various communities, but
there are still may be some things that we can agree are absolute
no-goes.  I'd like to figure out what things we see as:

* You might get away with that once, but don't try it twice.  That's
damaging to the community.
* Avoid doing that unless you have a really good reason that the
community has accepted.
* That has a bit of a smell to it.  Have you discussed that with your community?
* That's fine.  You're helping your community.
* What a wonderful idea! Absolutely do that if you and your community want to!

I'm hoping to put together a diagnostic tool for offlist development
that can help communities help themselves.  Something similar to
Beck's Depression Inventory.  Because like mental health, community
health is complex, and sometimes it is not clearly 'good' or 'bad'.

In order to do that though, I'd like to read your stories.  Especially
from the people who've been around a few projects and seen a few
things.  The stories Malcolm, Chris, and Jim already shared are
exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, so if y'all would like to
elaborate that'd be really cool too.

Best Regards,
Myrle