Hi all,

well of course there will be off-list development, if something new is donated
to the ASF.
I guess Myrle's point is, that for an existing project, features that are
communicated and implemented off-list and are brought back after some time is
damaging.
I fully agree with that assumption.

Of course, there is off-list discussion, but the important parts of these
events, discussions whatsoever always have to find their way back to the list.
I was driving my co-workers nuts in the PLC4X project, as one of them was
sitting directly next to me. When we discussed things I asked him to post a
summaries to the list.
As he didn't do it I usually wrote them for him and after a while started
responding with things like: "I will gladly discuss this with you, if you ask
it on the list" ...
I think in the meanwhile he got the hang of it and things are going smoothly.

Also whenever I got important feedback or discussed things outside the project
itself, I wrote summaries and posted them on the list, just to keep the others
on the loop.

The important thing is: Someone interested in a project should always be able
to follow the major directional discussion.
Off-list collaboration without timely feedback to the list, cuts off others and
that's not the Apache way.

Chris