On 28/03/2019 14:00, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 9:45 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> For which projects do you have demographic data about unrecognized
>>> contributions? This implies "all of them" which would be impressive.
>>
>> The 2016 committer survey indicated significant under-representation
>> from just about any category you care to think of except "white men".
>
> That's under-representation against the global population and not
> against the pool of contributors.

I disagree. It is both. This isn't something where we can just say "It
isn't our fault. The problem lies upstream in the process". Yes, there
are issues that need to be tackled elsewhere but the survey showed
representation in committers wasn't on par with what we would expect
given the levels of representation in the feeder communities. Taking
women just as an example the % of committers who identified as women was
about half* of what would have been expected.

* with a largish margin of error depending on which stat you take as
your baseline but any way you measure it it was a lot less

> I don't agree that it represents a meritocracy failure of projects,
> irrespective of whether comdev should be trying to build a bigger or
> more diverse pool of contributors.

I don't think framing this as a failure of projects is helpful. I'd
frame it as helping projects attract and retain a diverse set of
contributors.

Mark