On 28/03/2019 13:24, Eric Covener wrote:

>>> Then those PMCs have a f'ed up definition and measure of merit.
>>>

>> but this is true for all PMCs, and indeed our board. we have dismal
>> representation for non men, non white people, etc, etc, across the whole
>> organization. so you're saying that our whole organization has a f*ed up
>> definition and measure of merit. which is precisely my point. and why I
>> started this thread.
>
> For which projects do you have demographic data about unrecognized
> contributions? This implies "all of them" which would be impressive.

The 2016 committer survey indicated significant under-representation
from just about any category you care to think of except "white men". I
don't believe it drilled down to individual projects but while I am sure
some projects are doing better than others I am also sure all projects
could do better.

The key question for me is what can we do to improve things?

We know that more diverse communities produce better results. It is in
our own interests to do better at this.

How about this. Lets use some of the $ we have in the bank to get some
good advice (and potentially ongoing support) from domain experts on
what we could do to improve. (I suspect the hard part here will be
finding the right domain experts.)

Mark