> On Mar 28, 2019, at 8:00 AM, Naomi Slater <n...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 12:45, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
>> some people, "meritocracy" is a bad word, and I say I disagree.
>>
>> even when studies show that using that word *specifically* leads to less
> equitable organizations?

Because it has, IMHO, become an easy target.

>>   "Merit has nothing to do with gender, or race, or religion,
>>    or what genitalia one has or is attracted to. If your idea
>>    of what constitutes merit is based on any of these, then
>>    that's a f'ed up definition of merit. That means it's a
>>    problem w/ how merit is defined, and not meritocracy per se."
>>

> *ideally*

All "-ocracies" and "-ologies" are ideals.

> but in practice, this isn't true. and our committer demographics
> demonstrate this

Then those PMCs have a f'ed up definition and measure of merit.

>> We reward
>> those actions and behaviors that help build and nurture a community.
>> Those are the actions and behaviors that gain one merit.
>>

> but we recognize and reward those actions and behaviors in a way that
> excludes people. in a way that privileges people who are already privileged
> (white men, etc, etc) and discriminates against the already marginalized
>
> i.e., the way we actually *do* this is, to borrow your phrase, "f*ed up"

Then we need to fix it and get back to basics.

FWIW, I disagree, wholeheartedly, with the phrase:

  the already privileged SUCK at determining who deserves
  "recognition of merit"

I think that is self-serving and a gross and crass generalization
that does not help in uniting anyone.

But we seem to be getting way off base here...

Cheers!