On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 at 17:11, Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:

> Yeah. We will have different URLs especially as more artifacts are
> produced (airflow has 3 of those each with different download pages).
>
> But this should be straightforward when you can add the url when
> registering the release (as Sebb proposed). According to the release
> process you should register each such "release type" separately and
> adding a URL there will do the job nicely. And initially it can be
> optional and once we figure out how to communicate it best and maybe
> try with some projects first we can make it obligatory at release
> registration. We could make it convenient - for example an easy way to
> copy a previously added URL from selected previous release or
> autocomplete from previous entries - making the process of entry as
> smooth (or even smoother) than it is today.

Or you could just ask for the URL if the release is not already on a
download page.
This would mean parsing the page of course, but could be used to
provide immediate feedback if the page is non-conforming.

Asking for the page might also nudge projects to move to generic pages
rather than one per release.

However this does not solve the issue of stale download pages: how do
you know when a release version is no longer supported?