> > I seem to remember struggling with this specific naming decision when the
> > projects.a.o site was first put up.
> This was setup in the PRC, correct? (IIRC - PRC was split into comdev,
> conference, trademark, and press about 12 years ago)

I did that naming research and implementation in projects.a.o 5 years ago, and
shared with Comdev member the issues during ApacheCon Sevilla

Yes, we have naming issues particularly on
  Committee ~ PMC ~ TLP ~ sometimes "project" [1]
vs
  project ~ sub-project

see the "Projects by Committee" page to see which TLPs declare many sub-
projects [2]

I won't dig into the "product" semantics (some TLPs have much more Git
repositories than they have declared sub-projects: what is effective product
granularity?).
Nor dig into the question of how TLPs declare (or not) their TLP data (with
RDF files) and their sub-projects (with DOAP files).

To me, TLP and sub-projects are the words that clarify things internally when
we speak at Apache level, but these words were not well accepted during
discussons.

I did a main naming choice on projects.a.o: Committee vs Project
And I tried to use it consistently in the site, while making explicit in the
main page "Committees evolution (also called PMCs or Top Level Projects)"

If someone wants to take a new pass at it, I'm open: but experience shows that
it's hard to have a simple wording that works in any case with every project
(TLPs with single project and single Git repo, vs TLPs with a few sub-projects
and many Git repositories, and I don't name Subversion because it's harder to
count Subversion "roots"...)

At least, I'm happy that after 5 years, projects.a.o is now a reference list
that people are interested to improve :)

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://www.apache.org/index.html#projects-list

[2] https://projects.apache.org/projects.html?committee