Following up with that after short holidays - how can I (and others
from the Community over Code EU) get added to the "apachecon" group so
that I can create the repository and have "committer" access to it?

Do I need a JIRA ticket or just karma granted by someone ? I can
provide a list of ASF members to add there as a good start.