In regards to updating an app on BB5-7, for the simulators you can at least
use fledgecontroller to update the application without requiring the
simulator to restart:

https://gist.github.com/2428385

I believe its possible to also launch the app via fledgecontroller but I
think you have to essentially simulate the correct touch events and can't
simply launch by name.