The problem, afaict, is distinguishing between:

1) deviceready hasn't fired yet
2) deviceready isn't ever going to fire

which right now boils down to "guess how long deviceready will take, and
setTimeout() until some time after that."

I tend to agree with Max - it'd be a worthwhile thing to have, unless the
implementation is prohibitively difficult.