But isn't the app incomplete without the merges folder?  Most apps probably
don't use it, but for those that do, a zip of www isn't enough, you already
need to ship more than just the www folder.  Creating an app folder would
actually make the situation easier I think.

project
- platforms
  - ..
- plugins
  - ...
- app(s?)
  - www/
  - merges/
  - config.xml
  - README.md
  - docs/
  - etc stuff that doesn't get copied into platform/ output on build

(oh, and hey, notice the similarity in structure to plugins? just sayin..)