To summarize:

- yes plugman needs more work before we can utilize standalone plugins.

We have several committers working on this. There are issues filed in JIRA
(mainly assigned to Braden, Tim and me). With this being the blocker to
moving to a bare bridge implementation of Cordova, anyone is free to jump
in and help there :). All of the plugman must-have features are tagged
with "future" so do a search fro that in the JIRA if you want to help out.

- people concerned about doing too much right now

To reiterate Brian's point, let's take it slow. Go one plugin at a time.
We have 3-4 months before the slated 3.0 release.

- code living in two spots at once

This one is tricky, but IMO code living in two spots isn't a massive deal
at this point. The benefits to having plugin code, until we hit 3.0, live
in two spots at once is:

 * for 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, users of cordova will still get the standard APIs
which they expect
 * we have testable plugin code that can help the development of plugman
and cli

The downside is clear: code in two spots. As long as the structure of the
plugin code in the plugin repo is solid (I.e. Has a plugin.xml, and base
functionality is provided for the native bits), I would be satisfied. That
would be good enough for plugins being used as test fixtures.

Finally, once we are ready to remove all of the plugins from the core
repos (say, a few months down the road, around the time of 3.0.0rc1), we
can do it in one fell swoop, and move over any bug fixes / features landed
in the core repos for the plugins into the plugin repos.

My $0.02.