Nope nothing being forced on anyone here. I agree with you: developers
should be aware of the platforms they are targeting and should understand
how their app works, regardless if its written with a cross-platform
framework or not.

We are talking about a spec helping standardize the way bits of
functionality can be exposed to cordova applications. If you have
something very app-specific, we (cordova) should not mandate that it be
written as a plugin. If you have a cross-platform plugin to access special
device functionality, then wrapping it up in a plugin with a manifest that
is standardized will help with exposure, discovery and usability of the
plugin.

Back to the issue at hand, the contention was: do we need a special
section of the spec listing out platform permissions required by a plugin?
Originally my answer was yes, however, Anis brought up good points and now
I am not as convinced. We already have a section for generic XML munging
(the <config-file> element) which we can use in this case. The specific
use case that needed satisfying (installing multiple plugins with
shared/overlapping config changes, then uninstalling one of them, and
having the shared/overlapping config changes remain in the config) can be
satisfied with both approaches. However, adding a <permission> element is,
in a sense, redundant, as it doesn't satisfy any other use cases that we
deem necessary.

If there are other use cases in plugin management that are not satisfied,
but would be by adding a <permission> element, then we should list them
out in this thread so we can keep pushing development of this plugin spec
and our tooling around it.