The CLI treats the platform code as a build artifact.  While this is
the goal, the reality is that people modify the code, and people rely
on old plugins. There will be users who NEVER use the CLI because of
this fact, and will need to use plugman.  Just because you want to
have people use the software in a particular way doesn't mean that
they will, and we should provide some support for people who want to
not use the CLI.  I don't use the CLI, because I actually work with
the platform source on a regular basis and I don't want to constantly
destroy and rebuild the project that I hooked the framework source to.

I know that people will say that I'm a special case, but the bug
tracker says otherwise.  Also, we have CordovaWebView, which is a
component that isn't even supported with the CLI flow.  Just because
the CLI is the new hawtness doesn't mean that we should neglect
everyone who chooses to actually hack Cordova into something they
want.