cd and rm don't make network requests. There's plenty of precedent for
outputting by default. zip, wget, rsync, apt-get, brew.

You can always use --quiet if you pipe our command and have it not output.
Am I missing something about your use-case?

We have a practical problem right now in that we get a lot of bad bug
reports where we need to tell users to re-run with --verbose. Almost every
day in IRC, someone gets told to re-run with --verbose.