This sounds like a solution to workflow issue. But what is our workflow?

So if I understand correctly, the proposal is that a new bug that is unassigned
means it has not been triaged.

What would Jira state be for the following:
- triaged and nobody plans to work on it yet (low priority)
- triaged and person X plans to work on it, but they haven't started yet
(person X's to do list)
- triaged and person X plans to work on it, and they have started (in progress)

And do these states need to be captured in Jira or is that overkill?

Is it expected that the component owner does all the triage-ing?