I was in the habit of merging bug fixes back into 2.9.x a while ago, but
have also stopped doing that.

If we want 2.9.x to be bug fixes only, then I think it makes sense to spend
some time and cherry-pick changes.
If we want 2.9.x to be new features + bug fixes, then we could just work on
adding pre-bundling logic so that "bin/create" causes plugins to be already
installed. We want pre-bundling logic anyways for things like Android's
"App" plugin.

I suspect what we want is the bug fixes, but that does leave iOS7 support
out of 2.9.x, which makes it somewhat useless. So maybe we should just work
on pre-bundling?