On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Steven Gill <stevengil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Ian Clelland <iclell...@google.com>
> wrote:> Dev becomes a staging branch, essentially; and all actual dev work
> happens
>  > on branches. That sounds like a more sane way to do it. The only reason
> > had it on dev in the first place was to be able to test with buildbot --
> > I'd love to have a way to run those branches through the CI server before
> > merging them into dev/staging/master.
>

> Good point. Maybe we standardize a third branch (ducks for cover) that the
> CI server also tests and can be used for breaking dev work. This way dev is
> used for staging and only has code that can be released. I'm afraid that
> this just adds more complexity to plugins though and I am not a fan of
> adding more complexity.

I was thinking that it would be cool to be able to force a buildbot build
of a specific branch (though maybe a set of branches would be required) --
it wouldn't have to happen with every commit, but you could say "I'm ready
to merge my feature into dev, let's get buildbot to run all of the tests on
that branch first, to see if the merge will break anything".

That would avoid the need for a third special branch, but would let anybody
with access to buildbot (which we hope is everybody, soon) the ability to
test a branch before merging.

I don't know if it's possible to get buildbot to do that or not; I'll defer
to David on that subject :)

Ian