We found out the hard way that having any git-based dependencies
causes install to fail if the user doesn't have git installed. For
this reason, if something's going to be an npm modules that's depended
on, it must be published to npm, and thus go through the proper
release process.

Note though that the release process isn't the motivator for this,
rather, it's the pain of co-ordinating changes to multiple
repositories that depend on each other.