For what it's worth, the biggest problem I've had in upgrading is with 'phonegap plugin add <plugin>'. The native code gets copied but cordova_plugins.js doesn't get updated and the plugin JS isn't wrapped in a call to cordova.define. In a couple of Stack Overflow posts, running 'phonegap build <platform>' after adding a plugin is suggested but I don't see that documented in the Phonegap docs. Plus, that overwrites the www directory so it has to be copied beforehand which is troublesome if there are platform-specific customizations. (Is that the only time the outer www is used?) In addition, I didn't find documentation for the contents of cordova_plugins.js or the linkage between it and the plugin JS so I wasn't sure what was required and had to piece that together on my own. In the end, I manually updated cordova_plugin.js and the plugin JS files which is way more hairs than I think was intended.

Overall, I still think Cordova is great framework but that improved documentation would go a long way towards making that more apparent.

-Terence