On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Config.xml is not a very sane way to do things for the embedded webview
> case. E.g. you may want two webviews with different configs. Config.java is
> a singleton right now, and I think it would be much nicer as a parameter
> you could give to the WebView upon initialization & plugins should say:
> this.getConfig().getPreference() rather than using it as a singleton. So...
> If we could leave setPreference() in for now, I think we should. When we
> remove it, we should provide a nice API for the embedding case (e.g. a
> Config without the need to hit the filesystem).
>

> pluginManager being public is unfortunate. That said, other than
> getPlugin(), I don't see any methods in it that plugins should need. If
> we're to remove the property, I don't think we should expose PluginManager
> to plugins, but rather try and keep that an internal detail.

This is actually what I was working on last night -- the problem is that
plugins *do* use that field right now. File, File-Transfer, and Media
Capture all use it to get access to other plugins to use their APIs.
(through this.webView.pluginManager.getPlugin("somePlugin") )

It does make sense for plugins to have native APIs as well as JavaScript
APIs, and the only way to expose that right now is through the plugin
manager.

Unfortunately, it's been a public field on the plugin's webView object, and
there's no easy way to transition that to a setter. At least, not in a way
that ensures that both existing and new plugins can work with pre- and
post-3.5.0 Cordova.