Ugh... so I finally managed to get back to this, and spent a day and a half
refactoring the AndroidWebView class.

I've pushed the results to a branch of cordova-android called
"backwards_compat". (See
https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/tree/backwards_compat)

It passes all of the mobile spec tests that 3.5.0 passes, for me (I get a
couple of fails on contacts, because my test device has too many contacts,
and there is a battery-status test which has been failing recently).

It's kind of ugly, but it's what we'll need to do to maintain backwards
compatibility with existing plugins. The question now is "is it worth it?".
Or do we just delay all of this until we want to break
backwards-compatibility, say with Cordova 4.0?