On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a perfect example of this XKCD: https://xkcd.com/1172/
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
> > wrote:

> webview
> > Config.java is
> parameter
> say:
> > So...
> we
> >

> Although I still think it shouldn't be a singleton, I've realized that
> plugins require it reading from config.xml, so an all-in-memory config
> doesn't make sense (would break plugins). Maybe for prefs it still would...
> not sure. Just thinking out loud on this one. Don't have a proposal.

> If
> > PluginManager
> > >>

> > > This is actually what I was working on last night -- the problem is
> that
> > > plugins *do* use that field right now. File, File-Transfer, and Media
> > > Capture all use it to get access to other plugins to use their APIs.
> > > (through this.webView.pluginManager.getPlugin("somePlugin") )
> > >
> > > It does make sense for plugins to have native APIs as well as
> JavaScript
> > > APIs, and the only way to expose that right now is through the plugin
> > > manager.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, it's been a public field on the plugin's webView object,
> > and
> > > there's no easy way to transition that to a setter. At least, not in a
> > way
> > > that ensures that both existing and new plugins can work with pre- and
> > > post-3.5.0 Cordova.
> >

> I think we're saying the same thing. I called out getPlugin() as the one
> plugins would actually need. It's things like init() shouldn't be touched
> by plugins.

Yep -- we appear to be in violent agreement with each other. I just missed
your original "other than getPlugin" disclaimer :)

> I don't see a clean way to not break this. I doubt it's used much by
> non-core plugins, so I think it's worth changing & doing a major semver
> bump for Android.

This seems like it should be a last resort -- it probably means that there
would be no more releases of those plugins for Android engines < 3.5.0(4?),
without a lot of work on our part. It would probably involve maintaining
two streams of releases for some time.