Okay, so here are the current proposals for handling Ray's issue (thanks
Ray!):

1. Update docs at commit-time and release-time.  At commit-time,
documentation changes can be marked with "coming soon", or "removed in next
release", or whatever the relevant message is.  At release-time, docs are
further updated to remove these sub-messages.

2. Use CSS to do the manual marking in proposal 1.  We could also use it to
hide certain documentation changes until release.

3. Create a docs branch for each releasable component.  Whenever a
component is released, merge that branch into master.

Does anyone feel strongly about any of these or have another suggestion?