In order to keep the plugins as project deps in package.json we need to
sort out some details of treating plugins as npm packages first:

1) Plugins don't currently have package.json files, and list their deps in
plugin.xml.
2) Are we ok with loosing the possibility of specifying platform specific
dependencies? (e.g. plugin A might depend on plugin B for iOS and on
nothing for Android)
3) Simply listing deps inside the newly created package.json in plugins
will create a possibly deep tree of plugin/node_modules/plugin folders with
possible duplicates. Npm's peer dependencies
<http://blog.nodejs.org/2013/02/07/peer-dependencies/> might be the right
solution, but I haven't looked at it yet.

​
I agree that Cordova is a build system to a very large extent. But then it
makes more sense to treat it as a tool to be used by other build systems
rather than re-invent all the wheels on our own.

Recently I tried building a cordova project with Gulp without using the
CLI, it works great.
https://github.com/kamrik/CordovaGulpTemplate

Some time ago Carlos did a similar thing with Grunt:
https://www.npmjs.org/package/grunt-cordovacli