We used to, in the 2.x days, because we had to.

One of the stated goals of the 3.x series of releases was to decouple
platforms and plugins, so that we had the freedom to release plugins
weekly, if needed (and not even as a whole set; just the ones which had
significant improvements,) and update platforms monthly (or even less
frequently than that, as it's turned out)

And I agree that we should be testing against latest released plugins
regardless; not everyone is going to update all of their plugins
immediately, and they shouldn't have to.

(This all makes testing harder, but one of these days it will force us into
a stable, well-defined platform-plugin interface... or so I've been saying)