Here is more specifics on what I'd suggest:

- on the 3.6.x branch of all the platforms and tools in git, modify VERSION
and/or package.json to bump the version to 3.6.1. Create a new 3.6.1 tag at
this new head of the 3.6.x branches. Do not move the 3.6.0 tags.
- build new archives of these 3.6.1 images and post them to dist-dev. Do not
publish them to npm.
- do a vote based on the contents of dist-dev. For testing, use --usegit after
verifying dist-dev matches the git content (a script could do the verify).
- after the vote passes, publish 3.6.1 to npm at the same time as promoting
from dist-dev to dist.

Going forward, publishing rc's to npm before the vote isn't possible, because
the version in package.json would need to be modified between rc and final.