This doc is a really great summary: thank you Michal (and everyone else for
the input). Super agree with starting from positive goals Marcel.

I've been asking around other Apache projects (Jackrabbit and Sling) and
the Gentoo Linux guys. This problem is hard. The good news is: we're not
the only ones that have run into it. The general consensus I'm getting back
is to pin the versions sort of like we used to do. So the CLI is version 4
and then so are the platforms. This means "artificial" tagging of the repos
in scenarios where one is ready to ship and others are not. It also means
keeping MASTER green and deploy-able at all times by working from feature
branches so that a release tag is a trivial annoyance instead of a full
regression testing cycle. Versions are quite specifically for issue
tracking so keeping that as simple as possible means higher quality bug
reporting and (hopefully) resolution.

Anyhow: look fwd to the conversation. Feels like we're making some progress.