On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 08:37:15PM -0500, Patrick Aljord wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > My concerns do not apply to Google because they frame their website and
> > purpose
> > differently. When you visit Google you're not prompted or reminded about
> > opportunities for copyright infringement.
> >

> Well, gipirate is a search engine and has a bot that searches the web for
> torrents, just like google with torrents and the rest of the web. You can
> use bittorrent search engine to download gnu/linux distributions, jamendo
> music and more copyleft work, I do it all the time. Sure, many people use it
> to get illegal stuff. But if you look at the google top keyword searches
> you'll see porn, p2p, torrents, gambling etc on that list. So many people
> use it to do illegal/nsfw search, should we ban google too?

I already answered this question. It's a matter of framing.

GPirate frames itself as a website for copyright infringement. It conceptually,
and literally, invites you to infringe copyright. Several of the links on the
home page are direct links to copyright infringing trackers. That you can also
search for non-copyright infringing torrents is beside the point.

On the other hand, Google does not frame itself as a copyright infringement
website. When I go to the front page of Google it doesn't have a list of the
most popular torrents of Hollywood movies for me to click on. That you can also
search for copyright infringing material is beside the point.