On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 01:06:09PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
> I was only pointing out that the argument about 'but you can find other
> stuff on gipirate' is trumped by the explicit intention manifested in the
> name. My response to gipirate was independent of whether it should appear
> on the couch page. There are many things that I'm passionately opposed
> to, such as gambling, misogynistic porn, religion, IP theft, patent abuse
> etc etc, ad infinitum it sometimes seems. The extent of my passion
> partially motivates my concern to eliminate the opportunity for such
> issues to arise in the context of the couch wiki. It's separation of
> concerns. I am however personally more Kantian than moral relativist.
> Furthermore, see my sig.

I like relativism, but I try to avoid the nihilistic or laissez-fair tendencies
of naïve relativism. In any case, what does Dickinson have to do with ethical
objectivism? What are your thoughts on Kant? Something for IRC perhaps. Heh heh.

> And whilst I disagree vehemently with the (especially geek) culture of
> 'everything for free', there is a need for an opposing force in the face of
> public apathy about the deeper underlying issue.

Everything for free? Eek!

I wouldn't presume to think you weren't already well versed with the free
software philosophy, but I think it's important to point out that free software
is about software freedom, not price.

Here are some interesting essays that cover that in more depth:

  The Free Software Definition

  Why “Open Source” misses the point of Free Software
  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Best,