On 23/01/2009, at 1:34 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

Imagine a disgruntled DBA who decides that he's going to setup CouchDB Sucks and from that site he's doing to create one new website per day, each one using a subdomain and listing a new reason why CouchDB does, in fact, suck. Because he's using CouchDB for the website he justifies the addition of one new link per day to the links page. Each link goes to a different subdomain of CouchDB Sucks. How do we handle this? It's clear something is wrong here. Technically he meets our linking policy, but he's abusing our trust. The possibilities are endless.

I don't think that's an ethical decision. You could have a policy of not allowing effectively duplicate links.

And for every way it can be abused, I suspect there is a technical requirement that can be applied using strictly technical judgement. By which I mean we could find a technical reason - which isn't the same as inventing a technical reason. And if there was no technical reason, then so be it. I'll die by the sword.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
 -- Flower A. Newhouse