On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:56:10AM -0500, Dean Landolt wrote:
> > The *long url *problem can easily be remedied with rewriting. There are
> > already a few nice recipes for proxy configurations -- they could easily
> be
> > expanded to rewrite all non _ top level endpoints from *foo* to
> /db/_design/
> > *foo*/ automagically.
>
> If this is the case, it should be something that CouchDB supports natively.
>
> > At some point a utility could be added that allows rewriting to be
> > configured at the local.ini level (for those of us that want to rock
> those
> > stylish *my couch is on port 80 *shirts ;)
>
> Aye, or in a special document or something.

I would be a little weary of this kind of feature being replicatable.
*Installing
*an untrusted couchapp could have some nasty side effects if they can
control any http endpoints above the db/_design/app level...

But I do think it'd be *amazing* if there were a way to do rewriting or
routing *inside* this level of the url namespace -- so a particular app
could set itself up to route /db/_design/foo/bar/5 to
/db/_design/_view/foo&startkey=5 or something like that.

So in concert with a local.ini entry that routes /baz to
/some-db/_design/foo, /baz/bar should get you to the same place. To me this
seems like the sweet spot of url control without sacrificing administration
sanity.