Glad to see people are excited!

I am willing to take (continue) ownership / maintenance of the Pages CouchApp.

The project of keeping the current wiki in sync with the CouchApp version is a
horse of a different color. Once the raw dump is done, there needs to be some
cleanup. Obviously with that cleanup, reimporting new changes from the old wiki
becomes harder. So at some point the new wiki will have a hard break from the
old one.

At that point it would make sense to encourage visitors to the old wiki, to
visit the new wiki instead.

I am not a fan of leaving ghost town wikis around. So one thing I think we need
to do, is configure MoinMoin to make 301 redirects from eg

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Quirks_on_Windows

http://wiki.couchdb.couchdb.org/page/Quirks_on_Windows

Also, the domain name wiki.couchdb.couchdb.org is a bit ridiculous, so before
we set redirects up, we should move the new wiki to wiki.couchdb.org. I'm not
sure if there's an issue here that this is not under an apache.org domain. It
could be moved to wiki.couchdb.apache.org for all I care, except that doing
that will probably involve more logistical headaches.

Also currently the demo wiki is hosted on Couchio servers, which we are happy
to provide. There is some question as to whether we should stay on Apache
Infrastructure. I'm happy to defer to Apache old-timers here. My instinct is
always toward expedience, so I'm maybe not the one to make this judgement call.
IMHO, the issue of running on non-Apache infra is strongly mitigated by the
fact that it's a CouchDB, not some godforsaken bundle of directories,
permissions, and .htaccess files.

If folks want to help, compiling a list of the pages on this new wiki that
didn't translate well automatically, would be helpful. Fixing them by hand
won't be necessary. If you see a broken page, just add it to this list:
http://wiki.couchdb.couchdb.org/page/BrokenPages

Once we have a few broken pages, I'll go back and patch the import script to do
a better job of importing them. After a few iterations, we may be down to just
a handful of manual edits that need to be done, when we flip the switch to the
new wiki.

As far as features on Pages that we need to complete before this switch is
viable, the top ones to my mind are:

* Atom feeds of recent changes and comments.
* Some variety of safe-Markdown (currently it's wide open to script-injection
attacks).
* Editable history so that an old version can be promoted as the current
version.

None of these are that hard to write, and they are part of the natural course
of things that the wiki software needs anyway.

On Aug 13, 2010, at 3:39 AM, Robert Dionne wrote:

> nice, it is very snappy. I could see this would encourage more use.
>
> The home link is out of sync with the FrontPage.

Thanks. I'll think about how to fix that. I'd like to avoid deploying the
CouchDB version of the wiki as a fork of the basic Pages codebase, so maybe
it's worth it to rename FrontPage to index, and put a pointer (or redirect) to
index on the FrontPage.

> Oddly I'm not able to clone the github source without first cloning it.

You broke my brain. Come again?