On 16 Aug 2010, at 19:22, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> I guess I'm just a little surprised that the replication features seem to be
> independent of Erlang's underlying inter-node communications capabilities.

I'm going to hazard an answer here. CouchDB is, primarily, a database built for
the web. That means speaking HTTP. All communication between CouchDB and other
agents is, and should be, done via that route. There has been talk, in the
past, about communicating with CouchDB from within Erlang itself, but that is
not a priority for the main project. Pushing things over HTTP lets us take
advantage of 30 years worth of caching, proxying, authentication, and other
Web-stack middleware.