Oh, that's not what I'm +1 for then.

I specifically mean that passwords are never held in any .ini file,
but instead in a separate password file that contains nothing but
passwords, and never plaintext passwords either. It is updated with a
script which takes username and password, crunches it, and writes it
to the file. I used 'htpasswd' as shorthand for all of the above but
clearly was too terse, sorry.

I quite like your proposal too, though, where only bootstrapping
(database_dir, etc) are in config and the rest can be read from a
special _config database (thus eliminating any manual alterations from
outside _config).

B.