<distilled from IRC chat>

A separate password file as described above, but can only be updated thus;

# couchdb --set-password admin
Password: foo
Password updated.
#

Whether this password is written to a separate file or to a future
_config database is immaterial, but separate file is proposed for the
first implementation.

In the case of the latter, the issue of locking yourself out is
raised, so we propose adding;

# couchdb --admin-party
Apache CouchDB <version> (LogLevel=info) is starting.
Apache CouchDB has started in admin party mode! Time to be scared!
[info] [<0.31.0>] Apache CouchDB has started on http://127.0.0.1:5984/
#

B.