Jason,

The --set-password thing is to ensure there are no plaintext passwords
in the first place, which eliminates the oddness of couch rewriting a
plaintext pwd to a digested pwd (and putting the output in a different
file).

This is only for admin passwords. User passwords are held in _users as
normal (though many are concerned that digested passwords are visible,
and rightly so).

And, as ever, holding your ego together is our primary concern but I
think it can survive an improvement to how admin passwords are managed
in couchdb. :)

B.